Monday, January 29, 2007

Cozying Up to Sources

The Maria Bartiromo jet-thing just won't go away. David Carr weighs in today in the New York Times and makes an observation that caught my eye:
From the first school board meeting a young reporter covers, she learns to ally herself with the faction that has the interests of the citizenry at heart (in her estimation) and tilt that way for articles and sources.
I think it's far more common, actually, to ally oneself with the faction that happens to be controlling town government. Same principle applies to coverage of the SEC too, I've noticed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens next, as this Maria story definitely has legs. I still think it's overblown, but after learning about the "Money Honey trademark" thing I lost a lot of sympathy for the lady.

© 2007 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

-----------

Wall Street Versus America was published by Penguin USA on April 6.
Click here for its Amazon.com listing and here for more information on the book, from my web site.

Labels: ,