Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Don't Worry, Folks: Frank DiPascali is Still in Jail

In the past I've decried the behavior of U.S. District Court Judge Richard J. Sullivan, who has pandered to public sentiment by refusing to release on bail the chief cooperating witness in the Bernie Madoff case, Frank DiPascali Jr.

Doing so, I've pointed out, makes the job of cracking white collar cases harder, not just in the Madoff cases but in future cases. Hey, that's how our system works. It depends on rats.

Today, Sullivan issued a simply amazing order, reproduced below, reaffirming that yes, Frank DiPascali is still in jail.

The order was prompted by an email by some guy who wrote the judge, thinking (wrongly) that Sullivan had shown some sense. No sir! Not this judge.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but this is one of the oddest court filings I've ever seen.




© 2009 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

Digg my article

Labels: ,