Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Tim Geithner Fantasy


More Clooney, less Costanza

OK, I'll admit it. I have fantasies about Tim Geithner. I describe them in the New York Observer, on the stands today.
I imagine that we are in a different world, a movie world. Instead of the George Costanza character we have before us, making excuses, we have George Clooney, channeling Jimmy Stewart. He smiles that Clooney smile and interrupts whichever grandstanding Republican or phony Democrat is trying to rip him a new one.

“Congressman,” he says, “I’m not going to sit here and make any more excuses. You know as well as I do that I’m no good at this. Not only can I not help homeowners, I can’t even sell my own house in Larchmont. The banks have me in their clutches to such an extent that I can’t go to the bathroom without asking for a hall pass. You know that I am no Alexander Hamilton. I’m not even a good imitation of Hank Paulson. Let me to put it to you another way: I quit.”

More on my Geithner daydream can be found here.

© 2010 Gary Weiss. All rights reserved.

Digg my article

Labels: ,